specialneedsfamilys
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What causes Aspergers?

Go down

What causes Aspergers? Empty What causes Aspergers?

Post by Nicky Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:28 pm

The NAS (national autistic society) says:
The exact cause of Asperger syndrome is still being investigated. However, research suggests that a combination of factors - genetic and environmental - may account for changes in brain development.

Asperger syndrome is not caused by a person's upbringing, their social circumstances and is not the fault of the individual with the condition.

Which I find is the most honest answer I've ever read. That is the brunt of it really. In Matts case, my 2 step brothers have been diagnosed with Autism, they don't have Aspergers, they have Autism and are really disabled with it. I know i have some of the characteristics of Aspergers as well, I like my routines, I become obsessional with certain things, but then the novelty eventually wears off, whereas Matts is all the time. So I tend to believe its more of the genetic side really than any of the others. But I also believe a every child is different and unique in their own ways. I've just come to a stage in our lives, "right, Matt has Aspergers and I'm going to do anything I possibly can to make his life easier." but I did go through years blaming myself for his condition and carried the burden that he has it because of me. But blaming yourself, it doesn't help matters and if anything, it makes it worse for u and the asperger child. Also, its not just yourself who has to cope with it, its the people u have in your lives. In my circumstances, my family. They've all had to forcibly adjust to what suited Matt best. I just spoke to them all individually, explained the circumstances, explained Aspergers as best as I could and then I asked them to help me and to help Matt.
The rest of my family though, eg My mum, brothers, relatives, they have no idea what Aspergers is, what it does, why our family (in their eyes) running around Matt. Oh and one i've heard quite a few times "Its nothing a good clip round the earhole wouldn't solve" What causes Aspergers? Brick-wall-017. So I don't have very much to do with them anymore. If they can't make the effort to see what Matt disabilty is, research it, get to know him better on his territory then I don't want to know. Is it really much to ask them to try and understand Matts world or how difficult life is for all of us?
Nicky
Nicky
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 145
Blinkies : What causes Aspergers? 1zf1shw7
What causes Aspergers? Happy_together
What causes Aspergers? Proudmom
What causes Aspergers? 1000512rny19g9c1m
What causes Aspergers? Stargazer
What causes Aspergers? Jedi
What causes Aspergers? Cbstargate