specialneedsfamilys
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meeting at WKRS (Matts school) on 29.09.08

3 posters

Go down

Meeting at WKRS (Matts school) on 29.09.08 Empty Meeting at WKRS (Matts school) on 29.09.08

Post by Nicky Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:23 pm

~I'm gonna cut to the chase here without all my researching about Aspergers going up yet as I had a really important meeting this morning. Plus, the notes I'll be putting up, alot is about Aspergers and Matt.

Attending the meeting was Linda ****** - Part of Complex Social and Communication Support Team at WKRS
Chris **** - The BEST (something to do with behavioural at home environment)
Miss ******** - Matts main class teacher
Community Social Worker - unsure what her name was.
Myself and Sean (Matts Father)

LInda wanted to see us right before the meeting, to just get a general idea what the situation is and to introduce each other.
She gave us a CAF - Common Assessment Framework for Children and young people (CAF) form, which she'd gotten most of the answers from Matts file.

I'll just write in the relevant questions, answers and my comments underneath.

Does the child have a disability? yes if yes give details - ASD/SEBD/ADHD (SUSAN!!! what does SEBD stand for????)

What has led to this young person being assessed?
Overcrowding in family home which is in a poor state of repair
Matt's significiant and complex social, communication and behavioural needs.
Matt's inability to complete personal hygiene routines (hes a git for it and extremely stubborn)
Provide support and respite for Matt and the family

Family home - well bad landlord, keeps raising the rent and not doing the repairs. I've been in this house now for 12yrs and the only work that has ever been done is new double glazing windows put in about 5yrs ago. He (another one!) promised all sorts, like rebuilding onto the current extension (which is kitchen) to extend the back bedroom and bigger bathroom. Convert loft into another bedroom, i've heard allsorts but not once, seen anything come of it.

I could go on forever about ~Matt's significiant and complex social, communication and behavioural needs.~ but the main gist of it really is, he won't communicate with anyone/peers in our local area, so therefore has no stable best mate or anything.

Matt's hygiene ~ on his choice, is basically, a shower on a Sunday night - this has been a non stop constsant battle for us. Sad

And the last one - respite - who are u kidding?!?!?!? been offered loads, never seen or heard anything of the sort again.

~oh, just realised, whilst looking through relevent form, others were invited, like ASD co-ordinator, whom i haven't seen since i got her involved at his last school.
ED Pysch- not seen her either since Matts statementing
& Matts Pediatrician - well i last seen him on 28.08.08, hes a very busy man & fab as well, so thats ok if he couldn't make it Smile

Right, indepth details about Matt.

Physical development
Matt eats a very poor diet (his choice) at home and in school. Normal hearing and vision. Matt enjoys computers and physical games such as football.

Speech, language and communication
Matt is very unpredictable and verbally agressive when is frustrated or angry. When in this frame of mind he finds it difficult to listen or accept advice. He has poor concentration skills. Matt does not acknowledge or respond to ppl he has not met before.

Emotional and Social Development
Matt has a very good relationship with both his mum and step-dad. He just tolerates his sister but clashes with his brothers and can be very bossy and violent. Matt likes to 'wind-up' his peers and has not formed positive friendships. A recent invite to a party of a school peer resulted in a physical altercation.

Behavioural Development
At home, Matt does not share. His anti-social behaviour is of concern to the neighbours however they are sympathetic of the families needs and understand that Matt's behaviour is linked to his diagnosis but the noise made by him is affecting them and is causing conflict for example Matt if frustrated will bang his head on the bedroom wall and this behaviour can carry on to the earliest of hours. This can simply be triggered if his sheets & covers are not straight.

Am gonna have to stop here as Matts home, Jasons on one. lol welcome to my life! lol
Nicky
Nicky
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 145
Blinkies : Meeting at WKRS (Matts school) on 29.09.08 1zf1shw7
Meeting at WKRS (Matts school) on 29.09.08 Happy_together
Meeting at WKRS (Matts school) on 29.09.08 Proudmom
Meeting at WKRS (Matts school) on 29.09.08 1000512rny19g9c1m
Meeting at WKRS (Matts school) on 29.09.08 Stargazer
Meeting at WKRS (Matts school) on 29.09.08 Jedi
Meeting at WKRS (Matts school) on 29.09.08 Cbstargate
Meeting at WKRS (Matts school) on 29.09.08 Alien

Registration date : 2008-09-25

https://specialneedsfamilys.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Meeting at WKRS (Matts school) on 29.09.08 Empty Re: Meeting at WKRS (Matts school) on 29.09.08

Post by *~susan~* Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:26 pm

SEBD - Social Emotional Behavioural Difficulties

Hun matts diet is normal i worked with a child that would only eat wotsits and chocolate frog bars, its to do with change and how they dont/ cope with it.

With the Respite you really haev to keep going on and on about it as they will go so bloomy slow but onces it is in place it will be great for you all.

x
*~susan~*
*~susan~*
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 180
Blinkies : Meeting at WKRS (Matts school) on 29.09.08 ThpeewhenIsneeze
Meeting at WKRS (Matts school) on 29.09.08 730635he100pmz53Meeting at WKRS (Matts school) on 29.09.08 932465so3n74ul58Meeting at WKRS (Matts school) on 29.09.08 Fiance
Meeting at WKRS (Matts school) on 29.09.08 3174

Back to top Go down

Meeting at WKRS (Matts school) on 29.09.08 Empty Re: Meeting at WKRS (Matts school) on 29.09.08

Post by jess Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:32 pm

aww hun called me silly but i have turned down respite for charlie!!!!

my reason is that atm i feel he is too young but i have said i will wait til he's older coz i just don't know what he will be like then, but right now i feel isn't the right time xxx

we saw the action for young carers today and they are taking on both brandon and emily which has really pleased me coz they are putting emily on a anger management course so hopefully that will calm her down a bit.

xxx

jess

Number of posts : 87

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:48 am

Susan, Thank u hun, i knew u would know what SEBD would stand for!!! u good girl Very Happy lol - this is exactly where i meant u would help so much for other parents.
Anyway, I know his dietary particulars (what i call it) they kept arguing with me, its all to do with the texture of food he puts in his mouth...let me tell u now...ITS NOT!!!! Matts so flippin stubborn about his food, its got to be a particular brand, he has to see the actaul labelling. Its never bothered me tbh just that hes eating something, thats all that matters to me. And now the school has changed all its policies to a "Healthy Eating" - which BTW is an absolute nightmare for us parents cos its caused so much and many problems, Matt not allowed to take pack lunch in any more as it consisted 2 jam batches or a packet of dinosaur meat (The Bernard Matthews turkey roll, but its called Dinosaur meat, thats the only cold meat he will touch), 2 packets of crisps and 2 chocolate biscuits. But then the kids who are eating the healthier options, started arguing and creating chaos cos Matt had crisps, chocolate...so I can see their point but its now gotten to the problem in school cos the only thing he will eat is toast at a certain temperature, so the marg/butter will melt into the toast...Nothing new for me and this is what they've done, but they kept raising this up. To me though, these are the typical signs of ASD, complusive obsessive behaviours, school moaning about it, well uummmmm isn't this why hes in that school???? IS IT ME???? and then they go and change all they're eating policies, they must have realised certain kids are NOT going to be happy about it??? anyway! *sighs*

Jess...I completely undertsand what u saying about Charlie and respite. And tbh, they offered all this to us yrs ago and nothing EVER came of it...I'm sure they just say it to make out that they ARE trying to offer some sort of help and support but the reality of the matter, theres only very few places now that do offer this kind of service. They were trying to sort something out for us as Matt has absolutely no social interaction at home other than with us. Its the fecking kids in this street that have attacked his self esteem...everytime he stood in the doorway they'd run past shouting "monkey boy" as u can imagine, its given him an extremely low self esteem. We've tried in the past, inviting some of the neighbours kids (this was before SHREK (the bully next door) moved in of course) to come and play games with Matt and they were all absolutely gobsmacked at Matts gaming abilities, then they started swapping games, coming to him for advice, we get so far then someones getting a bee in the bonnet over something so petty and the stop coming round. In this case, SHREK moved in and it was his grandkids (his daughter lives the other side of them) who were coming round u see. So Matt has had no social interaction at all since.
Plus, Matts not a happy boy when i'm ill and it reflects on his day, eg if he sees me in pain, hes in an awful mood in school the whole next day, plus I can't go into hossie for any treatment unless its a matter of life or death. Of course Matt doesn't like it, hes got ASD for fecks sake, its a change to HIS routine, stability. So they're proposing if i go into hossie, etc they could take him over night at his school. It is a residential school u see, for the kids who live miles away. That way, he gets to interact with others in a secure environment and supervised, its a break in his routines, he needs to start getting used to, things change and he has to adapt to that. plus with me being so ill....but again, its all under the ruling of funding tbh.
IU'm glad they've offered it to u though hun, as sometimes, u just need that one good nights undisturbed sleep just to recharge batteries really. Plus u can give the others some very much needed quality time. But until u feel reassured thats Charlies gonna be given the best care possible, its not gonna happen is it hun. And this is really where Social Serv start adding up the costs and start backing away from the idea tbh. Cos a nurse would have to come and see how u do everything, etc, etc. Every need u need has to be faught for in all honesty. And it shouldn't be like that for families like us, but its reality. sadly. very sadly really Sad makes me miserable as hell when i have to talk like this.
Nicky
Nicky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:39 pm

continuing CAF form

Family and Social Relationships
Matt is showing signs increased obsessions about his peers and staff eg if they happen to be sitting oppposite him or looking his way, Matt is convinced they are talking about him, if this is not diffused it leads to aggressive and violent outbursts. Matt recently attended a residential holiday with school with school, by bedtime the first evening he was very unhappy and asked staff to take him home.

~gawd, that was awful. At the time, i was haemoraging with a prolapse bladder, womb and bladder. he was terrified something would happen to me. very scary times for all of us really. Of course he didn't want to leave me, hes terrifed i'll get rushed into hossie without him knowing.

Social Care Skills and Independence
Matt has really poor hygiene skills. He has to be encouraged at all times and as hes getting older hes becoming more argumentitive. He does not leave the family home unless he has full supervision as he has no sense of danger at all.

LEARNING

Understanding, reasoning and problem solving
Matt has a great difficulty organizing himself. There is only a limited of interaction with others. Claims his peers are constantly making fun of him (his perception) or that staff in school favor others over him.

Participation in learning, education and employment
Participation in learning can be variable and is subject to Matt's moods. Matt is in a highly structured class with 7 other pupils. The class has 2/3 adults teaching and supporting. Matt Has use of an Alpha Smart to combat problems with his handwriting but often refuses to use the equipment. He is also supported by WKRS (BEST) Behavourial, Educational Support Team.

Progress and achievement in learning
Matt has high levels of support throughout the school day. He has shown some progress in his ability to interact more appropiately with peers. However, there are still times when he is very confrontational with peers and staff. This also happens when he is being transported to and from school.

Aspirations
Matt has very low self esteem and limited confidence in relation to his ability. He declines to talk about ambitions.

PARENTS AND CARERS
Basic care, ensuring safety and protection
A very caring mother and step-father. Lives in a privately rented house which is clean and comfortable but in a poor state of repair. House is extremely overcrowded. Matt is a very selective eater e.g if his toast has not been buttered at the correct temperature he will not eat it.

Emotional warmth and stability
Ms Evans does her best to provide a stimulating stable environment. She openly admits the family is struggling trying to deal with the differing special needs of her children - one boy has ADHD, another has dysphraxia and is dyslexic. She has progressive renal failure. The house is extremely over crowded as the boys all share the same bedroom. This causes tremendous problems because of the conflicts between the brothers.

Guidance, boundaries and stimulation
Mum encourages self-control and posistive behaviour. She works with school and endeavors to put effective strategies and discipline in place.

Wider family
Ms Evans is supported by her partner. Her only other source of support is the school.

Housing, employment and financial considerations
Ms Evans has informed the landlord of the poor state of repair. To date the only repairs that have been done have been by the family themselves, which is a struggle due to lack of financial help.

No social networks or relationships

CONCLUSIONS, SOLUTIONS AND ACTIONS

Ms Evans and partner are VERY supportive.
Risk of Matthew harming self and others.
Matthew needs support with his social skills/independence skills and help to combat his obsessions.
Family unable to cope with Matthew's behaviour.
Neighbours are becoming threatening and abusive to family.
Family home is very inadequate.

What needs to change
Family & neighbours need respite from Matthew's behaviour.
Support for Matthew to improve his social/independence skills.
Possible anger management programme.
More appropriate accomodation for the family.
Nicky
Nicky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:49 pm

So the help they've offered.

A family support worker.
Have been in touch with Family Housing Ass, which I've got to ring up on the 20th October for their big meeting on the 28th.
Applying for a social worker for Matthews special needs. And also applying for social worker for me, to help support family during my illness.
~hopefully with the 2, we should get somewhere....
Oh and getting in touch with dental hospital to see if they will consider putting Matt to sleep to do as much treatment in one go as possible. He freaks out at those xcray machines that goes round u head. HE DOES NOT LIKE THAT. I didn't want to have him knocked out, but realistically, its the only way its going to happen and his teeth are getting in a terrible state now.

So am just sitting and waiting now to see if any of this actually happens.
They did arrange a review date, which gave me a bit more hope than usual really, for Nov 12th at 10am.
Nicky
Nicky
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum